Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

A Clear View on Memorial Day

Today I'd like to take a little detour from the house build and share my thoughts on this Memorial Day.

"There is no greater expression of love than when someone lays down his life for his friends."
John 15:13




Dating back to the American Civil War was a day known as “Decoration Day". It was the practice of placing flowers and flags on the graves of fallen soldiers & was done in remembrance of the men and women who have served in the United States Armed Forces, but also to honor the freedom in which they upheld. Today we know it as "Memorial Day". A day in which we get together with friends while having BBQ's, enjoying the beach, boating, & vacationing. It's the unofficial 1st day of summer. 



 “We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them.” – Francis A. Walker





I do love all of our military holidays. It's very close to my heart. In case you didn't know, 'the builder of dreams' aka Doug is a retired Air Force veteran. 
Huge blast from the past. 

I loved being a military spouse. Those 20  years of my life brought me some of the best friends I've ever made. We are still friends to this day & I cherish our military history and all of the new stories we are writing. 


But today, on this Memorial Day, my mothers heart is quite heavy. You see, our youngest son, Justin, aka Vinny, leaves for his 5th deployment back to Afghanistan. He leaves tomorrow. Getting my mothers brain around that number 5 is just completely insane. The last time he was deployed was over 3 years ago. So here are a few reasons why this time is different. You see, in 2011, he married his sweetheart. Lisa. 

I love these photos she had taken for their engagement pictures.

She is an awesome military spouse. Determined. Strong. Courageous.
I just love her.




They celebrate their 3rd anniversary in October. Justin will not be there for that.


Nine months later, we were blessed with this little guy. Tyler James. Tyler turns 2 in July. His daddy will not be there for that. 



They've been busy the last few months cramming in vacation time & making memories at Disney.


And Build A Bear to keep daddy close.
You see, this will be the first time he has deployed since having a family. He doesn't just say goodbye to us, but to his wife & son. This mothers heart breaks. But with God's strength & His guiding hands . . . this is what I know for sure:

"If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,says God,
    I’ll get you out of any trouble.
I’ll give you the best of care
    if you’ll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;
    I’ll rescue you, then throw you a party.
I’ll give you a long life"
Psalms 91

   



I will display my blue star flag stating that I have a son who is defending his country so that we can enjoy all the freedoms that entails. 
Blue Star Mothers


 Thank you to the men & women of our armed forces. Those who have given the ultimate price for freedom. And those who continue to serve and do it so they can get home to those they love. 
Serve well, Justin. We love you!!


 Until then . . . . . we wait for your return. 













8 comments:

  1. Beautifully written!!! Love our hero!! Love you much!!!
    Rachel
    A Tall Drink of Water

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful article, well written tribute. You are a true rock star in raising such a great family. Your are not only beautiful inside and out but a strong christian women who has a heart of gold. I will keep Justin and his family and yours in my prayers during his deployment. Luv Ya! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. You've encouraged me. I love you too,friend.

      Delete
  3. Your heart felt words touched MY heart...and the photo's were PRECIOUS! We will be praying for Justin! Love you and love your sweet family

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully written. Your family will be in my prayers as Justin is deployed. Thanks for sharing your words of encouragement and strength and reminding us what we are truly celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. We appreciate your prayers.

      Delete